We have all been there.
You start tackling a much-needed update of your guest bedroom or put in a new kitchen and before long you have most of the big decisions covered: the colour of the walls, the tiles you want to use and what furniture and accessories you are going to need.
Then you look at the window and start thinking about what colour window blinds would work best.
You keep staring.
It can be hard to pick the right colour blinds. They can be a substantial investment and need to stand the test time as your home and personal tastes change.
So what do you do?
Below we have listed the 6 steps you need to follow to make sure you pick the right colour blinds for your home.
1. Define your style
The first step to pick the right colour blinds is to consider what style you are trying to achieve. This will determine what sort of materials and colour ranges you should look at. Here are some suggested styles and blind colour options:
- Earthy and natural – for a home full of nude natural tones you might consider applying the same to your window treatment. Wood or PVC venetian blinds would be a great option in the lighter wood colours or off-white and beiges.
- Ultra modern – blinds naturally lend themselves to modern interiors. Aluminium venetians in a metallic finish would match high tech appliances and work nicely in the space.
- Vintage – For a more eclectic interior go for bold colours that might complement your interior finishes. Mustard yellows, blush pinks, and turquoise blues would do the trick.
- Minimalist – For something simple, clean, and unobtrusive go for anything in white.
2. Decide what functionality you need
Form should always follow function so consider the practical elements of the blinds you are buying:
- Who will be using them? – If they are going into a child’s bedroom, consider something that is easy to clean and easy to use like a roller blind or aluminium venetian blinds.
- How much light control do you want? – This will depend on how much direct sunlight you get and what part of the day. Morning sunlight is softer and cooler than afternoon sunlight so the blinds you choose should be determined by your specific needs.
- In which room are they going to be? Rooms with high moisture contents like bathrooms and kitchens would limit your blinds choices which in turn would limit your colour choices. For a bathroom, aluminium or PVC venetians would be a good choice.
3. Choose the type of blinds you want
Ok, now you need to select the type of blinds you want keeping in mind some of the questions you have already answered. You have three main categories to choose from:
- Venetian blinds
- Roller blinds
- Vertical blinds
This is important because the blinds you choose will determine which colours you get to choose from.
Click here to order blinds online
4. Select the fabric or material you like the most
Once you have selected you the style of blinds you want you then have to select the material the blinds are made from.
Venetian blinds are made from three materials:
Roller blinds are made from fabrics with various finishes and varying transparencies.
- Blockout blinds are PVC coated and aren’t transparent
- Sunscreen blinds are very transparent and also have a PVC coating that makes them easy to clean.
- Fabric roller blinds vary. They can have a variety of colours and patterns and their transparency also varies on the thickness of the fabric and how tight the weave is.
5. Decide whether you want to contrast or compliment
This comes down to your personal taste and the effect you want your blinds to have. If you decide to contrast then select a colour that stands out from the rest of your decor. Bold colours work great in this instance.
If you decide to compliment, match up the colour blinds you choose to the rest of your decor. Keep in mind that complimenting colours don’t have to match exactly. Compliment means that they go well together like orange, red, and yellow.
6. Finally, choose your colour
Each choice you make narrows down the colour options so that by the time you get to this final step you only have a handful to pick from.
To make sure the colour you chose is really the right one for you, order a fabric swatch so that you can touch and feel the material as well as see the colour in real life.